IVALO.COM has created a sustainability framework to be able to offer clear information about fashion brands' sustainability status. For brands and designers, the framework gives clear information on how they can make better decisions within their supply chain, and for customers it gives an opportunity to know what they are buying. Our sustainability framework brings actionable transparency.
We have recognised three important, but large dimensions: Economic Impact, Environmental Impact and Social Impact. We have broken these large dimensions to six smaller themes to be able to analyse each brand and whether they fill our minimum standards. The selected themes include:
Transparent Value Chain
- Must have: Design country, material and its origin as well as production country are known
- Supply chain known and supplier data gathered
- Auditing of suppliers
- Must-have: No fur used, and no hazardous chemicals used in production of materials
- Long-lasting / reparable / recycled / natural / organic / easily recyclable materials
- Certificated materials
- Must-have: Energy-efficient production & efficient logistics
- Renewable energy used / flights avoided
- Carbon footprint defined and plan for emission reduction & compensation implemented
- Must-have: Design for quality and long-term use
- Zero waste / wastewater or waste of production used by another company
- Offering repair / 2nd hand / renting / recycling services
- Must-have: No child or forced labor, no unsafe or unfair working conditions
- Living wage commitments and decent working hours
- Code of conduct / offers education
- Must-have: No incineration or landfilling of returned items
- Products are packed in natural or recycled materials
- Environmentally-friendly delivery options
By using these six themes, we have analysed our brands and created three different categories: Sustainable Brand, Ambitious Sustainability Developer and Sustainability Leader.
The selected six themes are rated from 0 to +3 points. Each theme is rated as 0 if the minimum sustainability requirements set by IVALO.COM are met, and no negative points in any theme are acceptable for sustainable brands. Additionally, the brand can have +1…+3 additional points per theme based on the sustainability framework developed by IVALO.COM. Therefore, the maximum score of sustainability performance is +18 points.
The methodology used for evaluating the sustainability performance of the brands is based on the methodology presented in the scientific articles by Halme et al., 2004 and Juntunen et al., 2019. In these studies different dimensions of sustainability were rated from -2 to +2 points.
As a backbone for our sustainability framework, are also the strategic sustainable development goals 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards.
The newly introduced Sustainability Framework is version 1.0. It is based on the idea of continuous improvement and this is why IVALO.COM continues to further develop the framework based on the feedback from brands and customers. Our long-term goal is to support each of our brand and together become sustainability leaders! IVALO.COM is all about everlasting style and building a community of like-minded people around it. Our community has a clear goal — sustainable, transparent and ethical future for fashion.